Professor in Combinatorial Optimization
of Computer Science
Faculty of Science
The Department of Computer Science, University of Copenhagen is
expanding its research and educational activities and hereby invites
applications for a tenure-track assistant professorship in Combinatorial
The assistant professor will join the department’s Image Section
(https://di.ku.dk/forskning/imagesection/) which hosts experts in image
analysis, computer vision,, computer simulation, discrete optimization, and
machine learning. The work ranges from theoretical analyses over algorithm development
to solving concrete problems for science, industry and society. The section
offers a research environment with much freedom: to a large extent, you shape
the research you work on and the ideas you pursue. The section aspires to be a
top research environment that bridges theory and practice.
The successful applicant will perform innovative research in the area of
combinatorial optimization. The applicant is also expected to contribute to
ongoing research projects within data science, involving simulation,
bioinformatics, machine learning and image analysis, where in particular
solving complex NP-hard problems plays a key role. Moreover, the applicant will
contribute to basic as well as advanced courses, mainly in the area of
algorithmic discrete optimization.
Applicants should have an excellent PhD degree in mathematics, computer
science or a related area, or equivalent. Profound knowledge of combinatorial
optimization and related areas is expected. Publications in top scientific
journals are essential. Good communication skills and solid English writing
skills are expected. Some teaching
experience will be an advantage.
The tenure track assistant professor’s duties will
primarily be research, including scientific publications and research-based
teaching with associated examination obligations. To a limited extent the
position may also include other duties.
The tenure track assistant professor must have an academic standing
showing internationally competitive research, and/or have internationally
recognized high potential to make a future impact.
Assessment of applicants will primarily consider their
level of documented, internationally competitive research. The ability to attract external funding will be
considered together with outreach qualifications. Teaching qualifications are
not mandatory but documented teaching qualifications and teaching experience
will be considered.
The position is open from 1 August 2019 or as soon as
information on the Department is linked at http://www.science.ku.dk/english/about-the-faculty/organisation/
Inquiries about the position can be made to Professor Pawel Winter (firstname.lastname@example.org,
cell phone +45 2380 7799), Head of Section, Associate Professor Kim Steenstrup
Pedersen (email@example.com) or Head of Department, Professor Mads Nielsen (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all
qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Terms of employment
The position is covered by the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic
Terms of appointment and payment accord to the agreement between the
Ministry of Finance and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations
on Academics in the State.
The starting salary is currently up to DKK 426.625 including annual
supplement (+ pension up to DKK 72.952).
Negotiation for salary supplement is possible.
The tenure-track programme
An assigned mentor
will provide the tenure-track assistant professors with guidance related to
career development, other academic topics and administrative procedures.
Performance of the
tenure-track assistant professor will be followed via internal yearly
evaluations and a mid-term and final international evaluation by an assessment
committee. If the ‘final appraisal’ is positive you will be promoted as
associate professor. Performance and progression towards the criteria below
will be evaluated with due consideration of differences between research
Criteria for promotion
After a 6-year
tenure-track period tenure-track assistant professors are expected to meet the
- A strong publication track record within the specific field of research, including a significant number of corresponding authorships and at least some publications inhigh-ranked journals based on work carried out during the tenure-track period
- Strong external network of collaboration, including joint publications
- A significant track record of successful external research funding
- Establishment of a strong and internationally competitive research group demonstrating clear independence of former supervisors/mentors, or/and major contributions to the development of an existing research group demonstrating an ability to collaborate within the research group
- Completed http://www.ind.ku.dk/english/course_overview/up/ and established a teaching portfolio via participation in teaching, including preparation and development of departmental courses
- Successful supervision/co-supervision of MSc and PhD students
The application including all attachments must be in English and
submitted electronically by clicking APPLY NOW below.
- Curriculum vitae including:
- Please describe and document international network and relations
- Please describe and document internationally based activities
- Positions held at universities/research institutions outside Denmark
- Outreach activities, i.e. popular lectures or other activities in the media
- Grants held, personal or in part. Career development grants.
- Diplomas (Master and PhD degree or equivalent)
- Research plan - description of current and future research plans
- If available, description and documentation of teaching and supervision experience and qualifications- please describe and document:
- Experience with supervision of BSc and MSc students
- Teaching experience
- Formal pedagogical training
- Complete publication list
- Separate reprints of up to 5 particularly relevant papers
The deadline for applications is 17 February
2019, 23:59 GMT +1.
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the
authorized recruitment manager selects
applicants for assessment on the advice of the Interview Committee.
Interviews/trial lectures will be held on 23 May 2019
Please refer to the following no. in future
communication in this case: 211-0014/18-2N