Jobportal DK > Tenure-track stillinger
Tenure-track Assistant Professor of Soils and Climate Change (211-0475)
Tenure-track assistant Professor of Soils and Climate Change
Department of Plant and Environmental Sciences
Faculty of Science
University of Copenhagen
Soils and agriculture are key components in global greenhouse gas balances, influencing climate change. While global demands for food and feed are increasing, there is a need to reduce emissions from agriculture and related activities, specifically land use changes and cropping systems. With point of departure in ongoing research within the Plant and Soil Science Section on mechanistic understanding of soil nutrient and organic matter dynamics at both the level of micro-scale biogeophysical processes and at ecosystem scales, the position will focus on soil and plant productions role in greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and their mitigation potential. The research will be global, with a focus towards developing regions and smallholder agriculture. Focus areas will include soil and crop management effects on direct and indirect GHG emissions and mitigation, land use effects on carbon stocks and GHG fluxes and system- or farm-scale integration, using various modelling or calculator tools. An interdisciplinary approach, considering aspects of smallholder realities and constraints at farm system level is required. Productivity and nutrient use efficiency during agricultural intensification are central for climate smart agricultural systems, the position may also include aspects of resilience of soils or farming systems to climate change, but the main focus will be on productivity and mitigation potential.
The tenure track assistant professor’s duties will primarily include research, including obligations with regard to publication/scientific communication and research-based teaching with associated examination obligations in core courses within the Agricultural Development MSc program. The specific list will be negotiated, but may include “Interdisciplinary Land Use and Natural Resource Management (3-week overseas field course)”, “Sustainable Agricultural Development Pathways”, “Climate Change and Land Use” or various others within similar subject area. The position will require a committed effort towards maintaining a large interdisciplinary field course with partners in developing countries. More information about this can be found on www.sluse.dk. To a limited extent the position may also include other duties.
The tenure track assistant professor must have an academic standing showing internationally competitive research, and/or have internationally recognized high potential to make a future impact.
Assessment of applicants will primarily consider their level of documented, internationally competitive research. The ability to attract external funding will be considered together with outreach qualifications. Teaching qualifications are not mandatory but documented teaching qualifications and teaching experience will be considered.
The position is open from 1 September 2017 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Further information on the Department is linked at http://www.science.ku.dk/english/about-the-faculty/organisation/. Inquiries about the position can be made to Head of Department Svend Christensen, e-mail email@example.com or tel. +45 51489421, Head of Section Jan K. Schjoerring, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or tel: +45 35333495 or Head of Research Group Lars Stoumann Jensen, e-mail email@example.com or tel. +45 35333470.
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Terms of employment
The position is covered by the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff.
Terms of appointment and payment accord to the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations on Academics in the State.
The starting salary is currently up to DKK 408,730 including annual supplement (+ pension up to DKK 69,893).
Negotiation for salary supplement is possible.
The tenure-track programme
An assigned mentor will provide the tenure-track assistant professors with guidance related to career development, other academic topics and administrative procedures.
Performance of the tenure-track assistant professor will be followed via internal yearly evaluations and a mid-term and final international evaluation by an assessment committee. If the ‘final appraisal’ is positive you will be promoted as associate professor. Performance and progression towards the criteria below will be evaluated with due consideration of differences between research fields.
Criteria for promotion
After a 6-year tenure-track period tenure-track assistant professors are expected to meet the following criteria:
- A strong publication track record within the specific field of research, including a significant number of corresponding authorships and at least some publications in high-ranked journals based on work carried out during the tenure-track period
- Strong external network of collaboration, including joint publications
- A significant track record of successful external research funding
- Establishment of a strong and internationally competitive research group demonstrating clear independence of former supervisors/mentors, or/and major contributions to the development of an existing research group demonstrating an ability to collaborate within the research group
- Completed http://www.ind.ku.dk/english/course_overview/up/ and established a teaching portfolio via participation in teaching, including preparation and development of departmental courses
- Successful supervision/co-supervision of MSc and PhD students
The application including all attachments must be in English and submitted electronically by clicking APPLY NOW below.
- Curriculum vitae including:
- Please describe and document international network and relations
- Please describe and document internationally based activities
- Positions held at universities/research institutions outside Denmark
- Outreach activities, i.e. popular lectures or other activities in the media
- Grants held, personal or in part. Career development grants.
- Diplomas (Master and PhD degree or equivalent)
- Research plan - description of current and future research plans
- If available, description and documentation of teaching and supervision experience and qualifications- please describe and document:
- Experience with supervision of BSc and MSc students
- Teaching experience
- Formal pedagogical training
- Complete publication list
- Separate reprints of up to 5 particularly relevant papers
The deadline for applications is 19 April 2017, 23:59 GMT +1.
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Interview Committee.
You can read about the recruitment process at http://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/.
Interviews/trial lectures will be held on 16 August 2017.
Please refer to the following no. in future communication in this case: 211-0475.
Københavns Universitet giver sine knap 10.000 medarbejdere muligheder for at udnytte deres talent fuldt ud i et ambitiøst, uformelt miljø. Vi sikrer traditionsrige og moderne rammer om uddannelser og fri forskning på højt internationalt niveau. Vi søger svar og løsninger på fælles problemer og gør ny viden tilgængelig og nyttig for andre.