The Department of Sociology, Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Copenhagen, invites applications for one or more positions as Associate Professor in Sociology. The position(s) will be available from September 1st, 2019 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Appointment as Associate Professor requires research and teaching qualifications at the level that can be achieved by satisfactorily completing a period of employment at the level of assistant professor or equivalent.
Emphasis will be put on the applicant’s qualifications in relation to
• The proven ability to consolidate a strong research profile, including publications in leading international, peer-reviewed journals, possibly supplemented with research monographs with high ranking academic publishers
• The proven ability to deliver high quality teaching
• The ability to attract and conducti externally funded research projects
• The ability to support the department’s ambition to strengthen its international standing and outreach through participation in international networks and international research collaboration
• Experience in research dissemination to the public and relevant stakeholders
• The ability to contribute to the development of the department’s different study programmes
General duties attached to the position as Associate Professor are:
• Research within the field of sociology.
• Teaching, supervision and examination of undergraduate, post-graduate and Ph.D. students
• Administrative tasks related to the position as associate professor
• Knowledge sharing with our societal environments
• Research and teaching management
Profile of the applicant(s)
Research and teaching in the department is methodologically and theoretically diverse, and we expect associate professors to be able and willing to engage in intellectual exchanges across a range of topics in the discipline and to be able and willing to teach a reasonably broad portfolio of courses at all levels. The position is open to any specialization in sociology.
The academic life of the department is organized around three broad research groups, and we wish to consolidate our strengths in those areas in the future. The research groups are titled:
1. Welfare, inequality and mobility
2. Knowledge, organization and politics
3. Culture and civil society
Descriptions of the research groups as well as their current members can be seen at the department’s webpage: https://www.sociology.ku.dk/
Applicants are encouraged to reflect in their applications on how their research can contribute constructively to future development and consolidation of one or more of the research groups and the profile of the department in general.
Conditions of employment
Terms of employment will be in accordance with the agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC). The annual salary as Associate Professor is currently DKR 469,000 (EUR 61,000 app.). In addition to the salary paid directly to you, the University will also pay a monthly contribution to the pension fund corresponding to 17.1 % of your salary. Negotiation for additional supplements will be possible. A special tax scheme is offered to researchers recruited from abroad, see http://ism.ku.dk/onarrival/taxes/
Applications must be written in English and must include the following information and documentation:
• A full CV, including name, address, telephone number, e-mail, previous and present employment and academic background including a record of research and international
• A complete and numbered list of publications. The publications enclosed in the application that the applicant would like the assessment committee to consider should be marked with an asterisk (*).
• The marked publications (maximum 6) must be uploaded in the application.
• Documentation of the ability to disseminate information to and share knowledge with society (if available).
If publications marked by an asterisk (*) are the result of a joint effort, the extent and the nature of the applicant’s contribution to each individual work must be clarified in the application, and if possible, a declaration from the co-authors or the head of the institution or office at which the work was completed should be enclosed as well.
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, applicants are selected for assessment on the advice of the Appointments Committee. All applicants are notified whether their application has been passed for assessment by an expert assessment committee. Selected applicants are notified of the composition of the committee and each applicant has the opportunity to comment on the part of the assessment that relates to the applicant him/herself. You can read about the recruitment process at http://employment.ku.dk/
The terms of reference of the appointment process include that interviews and seminars may be held.
Further information about the application procedure is available from HR Søndre City, e-mail: email@example.com
, please refer to ID number 13201#1.
The University of Copenhagen wishes to encourage everyone interested in the positions to apply, regardless of personal background.
Additional information can be obtained from Head of Department, Janus Hansen, Phone: +45 353 3937
, email firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for applications, including enclosures is 1 February 2019 (at Noon 12.00 Danish Time)
Please note: Applications must be submitted and documents must be uploaded online. Press “Apply now” and fill in the application form. Applications received after deadline will not be taken into account.