Tenure-track Assistant Professorship in Psychology and Social Data Science
The Department of Psychology and the Copenhagen Center for Social Data Science (SODAS), Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Copenhagen (UCPH), invite excellent candidates for a tenure-track Assistant Professorship in Psychology and Social Data Science. The position is available from 01/01/23, but an earlier or (slightly) later starting date might also be negotiated. It is a joint position equally shared between the Department of Psychology (https://psychology.ku.dk/) and SODAS (https://sodas.ku.dk/).
The ideal candidate for the advertised position holds a PhD in Psychology, Social Data Science, Computational Social Science, Cognitive Science, or a related field, and has a strong academic record across these fields.
A tenure-track assistant professorship is a six-year, fixed-term academic position involving both research and teaching. The successful candidate will be obliged to complete a teacher-training course designed especially for assistant professors, and will be expected to be able to take part in all the activities of the Department/Center, including examinations and administration.
At the latest six months before the end of the six-year period as tenure-track assistant professor, a committee set up by the Dean will assess whether the assistant professor can be considered for promotion to a tenured position as associate professor.
You can read more about the tenure-track program at the University of Copenhagen here: https://employment.ku.dk/tenure-track/tenure-track-at-ucph/
The Department of Psychology
The Department of Psychology is one of the leading psychology departments in Northern Europe, and covers a broad range of psychological approaches and disciplines in research and teaching. The Department has about 40 faculty members, 10 postdocs, and 40 PhD students. About 200 students graduate in the five-year master’s program in psychology per year.
The research of the department is organized in four broad clusters with associated post-graduate (PhD) students and postdocs. The clusters are “Clinical and Health Psychology”, “Cognition and Neuropsychology”, “Personality, Educational, Work and Organizational, and Social Psychology”, and “Psychological Humanities”. The hired applicant will be part of the cluster that fits best to their profile and interests. The current strategy of the Department can be found here: https://psy.ku.dk/pdf/Department_of_Psychology_strategy_2022-2025.pdf
SODAS is an interdisciplinary social science center. Combining state of the art social science theories and methods with state of the art data science theories and methods, SODAS aspires to do cutting-edge and creative interdisciplinary research, teaching, and impact at the crossroads between the social sciences and data science. An overview of current research projects can be found here: https://sodas.ku.dk/projects/. Teaching-wise, SODAS plays a major role in the interdisciplinary Master degree program in Social Data Science: https://studies.ku.dk/masters/social-data-science/
Duties and Responsibilities
The assistant professor is expected to contribute actively to the advance of the research and impact of the Department of Psychology and SODAS, as well as to the teaching in related educational programs and courses, especially the Master degree program in Social Data Science. An assistant professor also has administrative responsibilities.
Your Competencies and Opportunities
Tenure-track assistant professors must hold an academic record demonstrating internationally competitive research, and/or have internationally recognized potential to make a significant future impact. To be qualified for a tenure-track assistant professor position at the University of Copenhagen, you must meet the University’s criteria of academic merit.
Six overall criteria apply for appointments at the University of Copenhagen. The six criteria (research, teaching, societal impact, organisational contribution, external funding, and leadership) are considered a framework for the overall assessment of candidates. You can read more about the criteria here: https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/criteria-for-recognising-merit/. Furthermore, each candidate must be assessed according to the specific requirements stated in the job advertisement.
You can read more about the criteria for recognising merit for assistant professors here: 5a_Criteria_for_recognising_merit_-Assistant_professors.pdf (ku.dk)
With regard to the specific position, we expect the hired applicant, among other responsibilities, to significantly contribute to international research on psychology-based or -related social data science, to disseminate respective knowledge to other researchers and society at large, to supervise and mentor students and junior researchers, to apply for external funding, and to play a significant role in relevant educational courses. Examples of the latter might be courses related to Cognitive Psychology/Science, Social and Personality Psychology, Theories in Social Data Science, or (Psychological or Social Data Science) Methods.
A successful candidate has also strong interpersonal skills as well as an aptitude for working collaboratively with colleagues in planning and delivering teaching, in research projects, and in the discharge of administrative duties. Relatedly, the candidate must demonstrate a commitment to student learning, supporting student welfare and enhancing the student experience.
Strategy of the Faculty of the Social Sciences
The Department of Psychology and SODAS are part of the Faculty of the Social Sciences. The Faculty is a successful academic community that strives to put knowledge into action by:
- Engaging partners in the co-creation of knowledge, learning, and social change.
- Empowering our students to become reflective and responsible citizens who have the vision, the knowledge, and the competences to change society for the better.
- Energizing global, European, and Danish communities of knowledge by innovating research methodologies and by research findings with impact
Terms of Employment
- Employment with the Faculty of Social Sciences and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit. We do this by applying academic criteria of the University of Copenhagen which are related to the duties and conditions of each particular post and the needs of the Department and Center concerned.
- As this is a tenure-track position, we strongly encourage the appointed assistant professor to acquire the proficiency in Danish required to teach and interact with colleagues in that language in 2-4 years. The Department will provide and pay for the necessary language training.
- Further information on qualification requirements as assistant professor can be found in the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Danish Universities here: Ministerial Order on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities
- Terms of appointment and salary is in accordance with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (Akademikerne).
- The salary range starts at DKK 35,600 per month + a 17.1 % contribution to the pension scheme. It is possible to negotiate salary supplements on an annual basis.
The recruitment process
Further information on the recruitment process at University of Copenhagen can be found here: https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/
An Equal Opportunity Workplace
The University of Copenhagen is committed in its pursuit of academic excellence to equality of opportunity and to creating an inclusive working environment and therefore encourages all qualified candidates to apply, regardless of personal background, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, ethnicity etc. For more on the diverse working place environment at the University and the University’s participation in the HRS4R HR Excellence in Research, see https://employment.ku.dk/working-at-ucph/eu-charter-for-researchers/
The University of Copenhagen offers a broad variety of services for international researchers and accompanying families, including support before and during your relocation and career counselling to expat partners. Please find more information about these services as well as information on entering and working in Denmark here: https://ism.ku.dk/
Information about the recruitment process is available from HR, e-mail: email@example.com, please refer to ID number: 211-0131/22-2N #1.
Additional information about the position can be obtained from Professor Ingo Zettler, e-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Apply
Submit a complete application at our online portal. Click on the “Apply now” icon at the bottom of the page to apply.
Your application must be written in English and include the following documents:
- Motivated application (max. 3 pages)
- Curriculum vitae
- Certificates and Diplomas
- Publications. The 6 most important publications, of which at least three must have been published within the five years immediately preceding the deadline for application. The publications selected must be uploaded as attachments and named from 1 to 6.
- Publication list. A complete list of all publications with clearly marked publication dates. The uploaded publications must be marked with * on the list to be assessed.
- Teaching portfolio. Documentation of teaching qualifications in accordance with the University guidelines for teaching portfolios when appointing academic staff at the University of Copenhagen
- Documentation of ability to disseminate information. Documentation of the ability to disseminate information to and share knowledge with society.
Should any material submitted consist of work with named co-authors, or work that is otherwise the result of collective academic endeavors, the extent of the applicant’s contribution to the work must be clearly specified. The hiring committee may ask for a signed statement from the co-authors specifying the extent and nature of each individual’s contribution.
The closing date for applications is 8 August 2022, at 23:59 [CEST].
Applications or enclosures received thereafter will not be considered.
Københavns Universitet giver sine knap 10.000 medarbejdere muligheder for at udnytte deres talent fuldt ud i et ambitiøst, uformelt miljø. Vi sikrer traditionsrige og moderne rammer om uddannelser og fri forskning på højt internationalt niveau. Vi søger svar og løsninger på fælles problemer og gør ny viden tilgængelig og nyttig for andre.