150213 Associate Professor of Danish Nature Conservation
Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
University of Copenhagen
The University seeks to appoint an associate professor to the Globe Institute to commence 1 March 2020 or as soon as possible.
Information on the Department can be found at: https://globe.ku.dk/.
The position is a faculty position established with funds by the Aage V. Jensen Naturfond, (www.avjf.dk), a private foundation who also provide some funds for an administrative assistant, and funds for student fieldwork. The foundation is the largest private land-owner in Denmark whose nature reserves and other facilities are available for research programs and student projects.
The associate professor’s responsibilities will primarily consist of:
- Research, including publication/academic dissemination
- Research-based teaching, including associated examination
- Research leadership, including guidance and supervision of researchers
- Obligation to share knowledge with the rest of society, including participation in public debate
- Academic assessments
- Research within the Center for Macroecology, Evolution and Climate and the Globe Institute (s)he is expected to: set-up a group focusing on nature management and conservation in Denmark, pursue collaborative research exploiting the research environments and resources within the center and institute, and to collaborate actively with the Aage V. Jensen foundation.
- Pursue an independent and internationally competitive research program within the field of nature management and conservation biology, with major emphasis on Denmark, focusing on organisms, populations, species and/or biodiversity, and developing angles that underpin the conservation of species and/or the diversity of species and their environments.
- Attract additional funding from international and Danish sources including industrial sponsorships and private foundations, including the Aage V. Jensen Naturfond.
- Significantly contribute to teaching in at the Bsc- and Msc-level and to supervise student projects/thesis at all levels.
- Strengthen links and develop new synergies with relevant research groups worldwide, with other Danish universities, and with national and international conservation agencies, NGOs and private foundations. The latter may include setting up Danish citizen science projects and scientific advisory activities with respect to nature management in Danish reserves.
The successful applicant should be able to document:
- A strong academic record with research and teaching competences in conservation biology at the level of Associate Professor.
- Have an international research-profile within conservation biology, with a relevant background in wildlife management, population ecology, community ecology, macroecology, biogeography or evolutionary biology, documented by publications in the best international ecological and conservation journals.
- Have experience in directing externally funded research programs involving multiple partners, and in educating undergraduate and graduate students in skills relevant to conservation.
- Have a good record in science communication and dissemination, in biodiversity management, and in stakeholder outreach, and willingness to partake in public debate on conservation issues and politics, and offering consultancy advice to nature management decisions at national and international levels.
- The associate professor is also required to possess good interpersonal and communicative skills. This includes Danish or a similar Nordic language as the position entails communication and interaction with stakeholdes around the country.
- Research qualifications at the level that can be achieved by satisfactorily completing a period of employment as an assistant professor/postdoc, but may also be obtained in other ways
- Teaching qualifications and pedagogical competencies
- Research-based teaching
Terms of employment
Salary and other terms and conditions of appointment are set in accordance with the Agreement between the Ministry of Finance and AC (Danish Confederation of Professional Associations) or other relevant professional organisations.
The position is covered by the Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities 2013.
Foreign applicants may find this link useful: https://www.ism.ku.dk/ (International Staff Mobility).
The application must be submitted in English and must include the following documents:
- Application, including motivations for applying for this position (Maximum 2 pages)
- Curriculum vitae
- Diplomas (Master’s, PhD, and other relevant certificates)
- A complete list of publications
- Research plan (3‐5 pages)
- Uploads of maximum 5 publications to be considered in the assessment
- Teaching plan
- Teaching portfolio (Guidelines: https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/job-application-portfolio)
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Appointments Committee. All applicants are then immediately notified whether their application has been passed for assessment. The Dean then appoints an expert assessment committee in order to make an assessment of the selected applicants for the specific post. Selected applicants are notified of the composition of the committee and each applicant has the opportunity to comment on the part of the assessment that relates to the applicant him/herself. You can read about the recruitment process at https://jobportal.ku.dk/.
Please note that the applicant will be contacted if the assessment committee requires further documentation.
The applicant will be assessed according to the Ministerial Order no. 242 of 13 March 2012 on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Universities.
The University of Copenhagen encourages all interested applicants to apply for this position.
Please submit the application with the required attachments. Only online applications will be accepted. The closing date for applications is 23.59 p.m. CET, Tuesday 22 October 2019.
Københavns Universitet giver sine knap 10.000 medarbejdere muligheder for at udnytte deres talent fuldt ud i et ambitiøst, uformelt miljø. Vi sikrer traditionsrige og moderne rammer om uddannelser og fri forskning på højt internationalt niveau. Vi søger svar og løsninger på fælles problemer og gør ny viden tilgængelig og nyttig for andre.