Associate Professor of integrated genomics and proteomics (fixed-term, 5 years) 151605
Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Protein Research
Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
University of Copenhagen
The University seeks to appoint an associate professor to the Department of Proteomics at Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Protein Research to commence as soon as possible.
The Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Protein Research has been established at the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen to promote basic and applied discovery research on human proteins of medical relevance. The Department of Proteomics at the Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Protein Research is headed by Prof. Dr. Matthias Mann, and the “Proteomics and Cell Signaling” group in the department is led by Group Leader Dr. Chunaram Choudhary. The department offers cutting-edge mass spectrometry (MS)-based technologies for unbiased identification and quantification of posttranslational modifications, such as lysine acetylation. The Center offers the latest technologies and expertise for high-resolution microscopy, live cell imaging, next generation sequencing, and protein biophysical characterization.
For more information about the Center and Proteomics and Cell Signaling group please visit:
In considering applications for the associate professorship, the main emphasis will be on the applicant's ability to document a high level of original scientific work on an international level within the area of quantitative proteomics, CRISPR-based genome engineering, and large-scale proteomic and genomic data analysis.
The associate professor’s duties will primarily consist of:
- Performing independent, high-quality research in mass spectrometry-based global analyses of signaling networks.
- Generation and analysis of large-scale proteomics and genomics dataset, including analyses of proteome, acetylome, transcriptome, ChIP-seq, RNA-Seq, Nascent RNA-seq, and ATAC-seq data.
- Research, including publication/academic dissemination
- Research-based teaching, including guidance and supervision of researchers
- Obligation to share knowledge with the rest of society, including participation in public debate
- Academic assessments
The successful applicant should be able to document:
- Research qualifications at the level that can be achieved by satisfactorily completing a period of employment as an assistant professor/postdoc, but may also be obtained in other ways
- Teaching qualifications and pedagogical competencies
- Research-based teaching
The associate professor is also required to possess good interpersonal and communicative skills.
The candidate should have demonstrated excellent scientific productivity evidenced by high-quality research publications, be able to conduct independent and creative research, and show good inter-personal and communication skills. The appointee should have the following qualifications:
- PhD or equivalent degree in natural or medical science, or research qualifications such as an assistant professor or equivalent within the subject area(s).
- Outstanding scientific track record demonstrated by several high-quality publications in peer reviewed international journals.
- Prior experience in mass spectrometry-based proteomics is required.
- Prior experience in analyzing large-scale proteomic and genomics data, including proteome, acetylome, RNA-seq, ChIP-seq, and ATAC-seq, is essential.
- Prior experience in computer programming languages and experience in constructing web-based database is required.
- Prior experience in CRISPR-based genome editing of mammalian cell lines is required.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm, motivation, flexibility and confidence.
- Knowledge in one of the following areas would be considered an advantage:
- cell signaling
- genetics and cell biology
Terms of employment
The position is full time (37 hours/week) and fixed-term for 5 years. Salary and other terms and conditions of appointment are set in accordance with the Agreement between the Ministry of Finance and AC (Danish Confederation of Professional Associations) or other relevant professional organisations.
The position is covered by the Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities 2019.
For further information, please contact Prof. Chunaram Choudhary, firstname.lastname@example.org, https://sund.ku.dk/.
Foreign applicants may find this link useful: https://www.ism.ku.dk/ (International Staff Mobility).
The application must be submitted in English and must include the following documents:
- Application, including motivations for applying for this position (Maximum 2 pages)
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of publications
- Diplomas (Master’s, PhD, and other relevant certificates)
- A complete list of publications
- Research plan
- Uploads of maximum 5 publications to be considered in the assessment
- Teaching plan
- Teaching portfolio (Guidelines: https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/job-application-portfolio)
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Appointments Committee. All applicants are then immediately notified whether their application has been passed for assessment. The Dean then appoints an expert assessment committee in order to make an assessment of the selected applicants for the specific post. Selected applicants are notified of the composition of the committee and each applicant has the opportunity to comment on the part of the assessment that relates to the applicant him/herself. You can read about the recruitment process at https://jobportal.ku.dk/.
Please note that the applicant will be contacted if the assessment committee requires further documentation.
The applicant will be assessed according to the Ministerial Order no. 242 of 13 March 2012 on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Universities.
Please submit the application with the required attachments. Only online applications will be accepted.
The closing date for applications is 23.59 p.m. CET, 21st of April, 2020.
Interviews for this position are likely to be held in week 19 or 20.
The University of Copenhagen encourages all interested applicants to apply for this position.
Københavns Universitet giver sine knap 10.000 medarbejdere muligheder for at udnytte deres talent fuldt ud i et ambitiøst, uformelt miljø. Vi sikrer traditionsrige og moderne rammer om uddannelser og fri forskning på højt internationalt niveau. Vi søger svar og løsninger på fælles problemer og gør ny viden tilgængelig og nyttig for andre.