Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research
Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
University of Copenhagen
We are looking for a highly motivated and independent research assistant to join the Arumugam Group. The expected start date is 1 March 2019.
The Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research (CBMR) was established in 2010 to conduct fundamental research on metabolism. It is part of the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen. The Center has around 170 employees from all over the world. Its employees moved into new laboratories, offices and meeting rooms in the Maersk Tower in summer 2017. You can read more about us at http://cbmr.ku.dk
We are looking for a research assistant to join us in identifying novel bioactive metabolites produced by the human gut microbiota, and unraveling the underlying complex metabolic networks. The person will have a great opportunity to advance his/her basic research skills. The successful candidate will also have the opportunity to seek a PhD position in the research group based on his/her performance.
Your tasks will include
- Culturing gut microbiota in in vitro anaerobic conditions using micro-titer plates and specially designed fermenter
- Extraction of DNA, RNA and metabolites for meta-genomics, meta-transcriptomics and metabolomics analysis
- Performing cell counts, qPCR and DNA sequencing
We are looking for a highly motivated and enthusiastic research assistant with the following qualification:
Desirable qualifications and experience
- A relevant master’s degree e.g. within Microbiology, Biology, Biotechnology, Biochemistry or Molecular Biomedicine
- Active interest in microbiome research, culturing microorganisms in anaerobic fermenters, running DNA sequencers and GC/LC-Mass spectrometers
- Experience in cultivation of microorganisms (anaerobic microbes is desired, but not essential) and basic molecular biology techniques
- Good English language skills, written and spoken
- Well-developed collaborative skills
Place of employment
The place of employment is the Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research,
Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences at University of Copenhagen. We offer creative and stimulating working conditions in a dynamic and international research environment.
Terms of salary and employment
The employment as research assistant is a full-time position for 1 year, with possibility of extension based on performance. Expected starting date is 1 March 2019. Employment will be in accordance with the provisions of the collective agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and AC (the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations).
For further information regarding the position, please contact Associate Professor Manimozhiyan Arumugam by email firstname.lastname@example.org
. For questions regarding the recruitment procedure, please contact SUND HR CBMR at email@example.com
Your application, in English, should include:
- Cover letter detailing your motivation and background for applying for the position
- Diploma and transcripts of records (BSc and MSc)
- Other information for consideration, e.g. list of publications
- Full contact details (Name, address, telephone & email) of 2 professional referees
- Documentation of English language qualifications, if non-EU/non-Scandinavian and non-native English speaker
Please submit your application by clicking on “Apply Now” below. Only online applications will be accepted.
Students who expect to complete their MSc program during the spring of 2019 are also invited to apply. If you have not yet obtained the MSc degree, please indicate in your cover letter when you expect to graduate and from which date you will be able to commence the position.
Application deadline: 31 January 2019 at 23:59 CET.
We reserve the right not to consider material received after the deadline, and not to consider applications that do not live up to the abovementioned requirements.
The University of Copenhagen wishes to reflect the diversity of society and welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.