150081 Professor of Genetic Identification and Discovery
The GLOBE Institute
Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
University of Copenhagen
The University seeks to appoint a professor within Genetic Identification and Discovery at the GLOBE Institute to commence as soon as possible.
Information about GLOBE can be found at: https://globe.ku.dk/
When considering applications for the professorship, the main emphasis will be on the applicant's ability to document a high level of original scientific work at an international level within the area of genetic identification/environmental genetics and its contribution to the development of this scientific field.
The candidate is expected to lead original scientific research addressing fundamental questions related to the above topics, with a particular focus on the application in an environmental context. The ideal candidate will have extensive expertise in the use of DNA for identification of organisms and individuals in degraded complex material, prior experience in validation of novel DNA based methods for forensic use in both the wildlife and human context. The applicant must have major potential to impact the international research community within both areas, and is expected to participate in forming the Institute’s future research strategy within the relevant subjects.
A strong history of securing impact of the science conducted being peer-reviewed publications or producing solutions that allow solving previous unsolvable forensic questions.
Duties include the applicant’s own research, development of the field and fulfill other tasks
The professor’s responsibilities will primarily consist of:
- Research, including publication/academic dissemination
- Research-based teaching, including associated examination
- Research leadership, including guidance and supervision of researchers
- Obligation to share knowledge with the rest of society, including participation in public debate
- Academic assessments
- Attracting external funding
- Research-based public-sector consultancy
The successful applicant should be able to:
- Document a high degree of original academic production at an international level, including considerable contributions to the development of the academic discipline of using DNA for identification in an environmental context through time.
- Manage research and other management functions, e.g. engage in the university’s external academic activities, as well as knowledge and technology transfer
- Provide research-based teaching. Experience in creating and running university courses at bachelor and master level. Documented supervision of bachelor, master and PhD students
- Documented experience in management of large projects and research programmes, as well as junior researchers and technical staff
- Experience in the management of molecular genetic laboratories according to international guidelines and standards
- Successful record of attracting external funding
- Experience of collaboration with government and other national and public stakeholders in a wildlife forensic context
- The professor is required to possess good interpersonal and communicative skills.
Terms of employment
Salary and other terms and conditions of appointment are set in accordance with the Agreement between the Ministry of Finance and AC (Danish Confederation of Professional Associations) or other relevant professional organisations.
The position is covered by the Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities (2013).
For further information, please contact Head of Sectionm, Kurt H. Kjær, e-mail: Kurtk@bio.ku.dk, https://sund.ku.dk/
Foreign applicants may find this link useful: http://www.ism.ku.dk/ (International Staff Mobility).
The application must be submitted in English and must include the following documents:
- Application, including motivation for applying for this position (Maximum 2 pages)
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of publications
- Diplomas (Master’s, PhD and other relevant certificates)
- A complete list of publications
- Research plan (3‐5 pages)
- Uploads of maximum 10 publications to be considered in the
- Teaching plan
- Teaching portfolio (Guidelines:https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/job-application-portfolio/)
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Appointments Committee. All applicants are then immediately notified whether their application has been passed for assessment. The Dean then appoints an expert assessment committee in order to make an assessment of the selected applicants for the specific post. Selected applicants are notified of the composition of the committee and each applicant has the opportunity to comment on the part of the assessment that relates to the applicant him/herself. You can read about the recruitment process at https://jobportal.ku.dk/
Please note that the applicant will be contacted if the assessment committee requires further documentation.
The applicant will be assessed according to the Ministerial Order no. 242 of 13 March 2012 on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Universities.
The University of Copenhagen encourages all interested applicants to apply for this position.
Please submit the application with the required attachments. Only online applications will be accepted. The closing date for applications is 23.59 p.m. CET, 17 September 2019.
Københavns Universitet giver sine knap 10.000 medarbejdere muligheder for at udnytte deres talent fuldt ud i et ambitiøst, uformelt miljø. Vi sikrer traditionsrige og moderne rammer om uddannelser og fri forskning på højt internationalt niveau. Vi søger svar og løsninger på fælles problemer og gør ny viden tilgængelig og nyttig for andre.