Associate professor in New Testament Studies
Subject to necessary grant, the Faculty of Theology, University of Copenhagen, invites applicants for a permanent position as Associate Professor in New Testament studies to be filled by August 1 2020 or as soon as possible thereafter.
The position will be located in the Section of Biblical Exegesis. The Section studies the formative writings of Judaism, Christianity and Islam, in the Old Testament, the New Testament and the Qur’an. These scriptures are studied both separately and in terms of their interrelationship. New Testament Studies includes studies in all parts of Early Christianity.
The ideal candidate should demonstrate an active research agenda within the New Testament studies and document high level of the implied language skills.
The position involves commitment to take an active part in the Faculty’s research environment and research-based teaching, including examination and supervision related to the theology programmes at Bachelor, Master and PhD levels, open programmes and any new areas of study. It also involves taking part in activities related to securing funding for and managing research projects, providing pedagogical supervision and participating in academic assessments. The candidate must be able to offer courses on New Testament writings at all levels.
The successful applicant must at least have a PhD degree in the field of New Testament studies, incl. studies in Early Christianity.
In connection with the overall assessment of the individual applicant, emphasis is placed on the applicant’s research and teaching potential within the fields described above.
Within a reasonable period of time (max 2 years), a non-Danish-speaking appointee will be required to acquire proficiency in Danish sufficient to teach in Danish as well as interact in Danish with colleagues and students.
Terms of employment
The candidate will be employed in accordance with the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (Akademikernes Centralorganisation, AC). In additional to the basic salary, you will receive an annual increment of DK 97.476 (as of 1 October 2019) and a total contribution to your pension fund, equal to 17,1 % of your salary and annual increment.
A special tax scheme is offered to researchers recruited abroad, http://ism.ku.dk
Applications must be submitted via the electronic application system. Click on the link provided below to be taken to the online application form.
The application must include the following enclosures:
- Letter of Motivation (applicants are encouraged to consult UCPH criteria for recognising merit https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/criteria-for-recognising-merit/)
- CV, highlighting experience with interdisciplinary and collaborative research, teaching and language skills.
- Documentation of degrees/diplomas, etc.
- Publication list (a complete list of publications)
- Teaching portfolio. For more information regarding the expected contents of the teaching portfolio, applicants are encouraged to consult the University guidelines for teaching portfolios when appointing academic staff at the University of Copenhagen.
- Research plan. An outline of planned research activities, including publication plans and plans for applications for external funding. The research plan should include a presentation of the applicant’s envisaged contribution to the research in the Section.
- Publications. A maximum of five (5) scientific publications that the applicant wishes to have included in the assessment, of which no more than two (2) may be monographs.
- Co-author declarations. If citing work where the applicant has been a co-author, a co-author declaration, which addresses the applicant's share of these works, must be submitted. Material that has not yet been published can be submitted. However, please indicate the precise status of each publication.
The application, appendixes and the submitted scientific publications must be uploaded electronically using the link below. We advise you to have the above mentioned documents ready before you begin to fill out your online application, and it is essential that all required documents are enclosed.
An automatically generated message is sent out acknowledging receipt of the uploaded application.
Applicants will be kept informed about the process of the application procedure on a regular basis via email.
Following the application deadline, the Dean selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Appointments Committee. Applicants are selected on the basis of an overall assessment of the applicants that best match the recruitment needs of the Faculty as described in this advertisement for the post. This is compared with the applicant's research and teaching profile as set out in the application, CV incl. list of publication, teaching portfolio and any research/development plan.
All applicants are notified whether their application has been passed for assessment by an expert Assessment Committee. Selected applicants are notified of the composition of the committee and when the committee has completed its assessment, each applicant has the opportunity to comment on the part of the assessment that relates to the applicants themselves.
According to the University of Copenhagen’s “Action Plan for Career, Gender and Quality – Equal Opportunities in Research and Management” there is to be at least one applicant of each gender before a position can be filled.
University of Copenhagen wishes to reflect the surrounding society and therefore encourages all interested parties regardless of personal background to apply for the position.
Further information about the application procedure is available from HR Søndre City, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, please refer to ID number 151074.
Applications must be submitted by 23 February, 23:59 GMT+1
Applications received after the deadline has expired will not be accepted.
Københavns Universitet giver sine knap 10.000 medarbejdere muligheder for at udnytte deres talent fuldt ud i et ambitiøst, uformelt miljø. Vi sikrer traditionsrige og moderne rammer om uddannelser og fri forskning på højt internationalt niveau. Vi søger svar og løsninger på fælles problemer og gør ny viden tilgængelig og nyttig for andre.