Associate Professor in digital media studies
The Department of Communication, Faculty of Humanities, University of Copenhagen (UCPH), Denmark, invites applications for a position as associate professor to be filled by Aug. 1, 2020, or as soon as possible thereafter.
The Department of Communication is a new department at the University of Copenhagen, based on a merger of the Department of Media, Cognition and Communication and the Department of Information Studies. The department is home to approx. 75 faculty members, 40 PhD students, 20 postdocs, 40 part-time lecturers, 27 administrative staff, and 2200 students. We generate approx. 30 mio DKK in external research funding every year. We offer seven degree programs: Philosophy, Rhetoric, Educational Science, Film and Media Studies, Communication and IT, Information Studies, and Cognition & Communication. Researchers are organised into eight research sections and two centres. Please read more about the Department of Communication at: https://comm.ku.dk
The candidate is expected to augment the department’s already strong international profile in one or more of the following areas of expertise: media systems and media institutions, digital media and popular culture, digital news and journalism, social media, and media policy and regulation. It is expected that the candidate has established a track record of research accomplishments within this field. It is also expected that the candidate will engage in applications for research funding, and it is a plus if the candidate has shown initiative in attracting research funding.
Moreover, it will be considered an advantage that applicants have insight into Danish/Scandinavian media, media culture and media institutions.
The associate professor is expected to take part in all the activities of the department, including examinations and administration, generating applications for external research funding, managing research projects, providing pedagogical supervision, supporting assistant professors, and participating in academic assessment panels.
Applications for the position at the associate professor level must have qualifications corresponding to at least the level attained on successful completion of an assistant professorship.
The duties of the position are evenly distributed between teaching and research. The candidate must document competences in both teaching and research.
Associate professors demonstrate intellectual originality, scholarly autonomy, have a clear research profile and provide valuable contributions to research-based knowledge within a given discipline or interdisciplinary field.
Candidates are expected to document the following requirements:
- The candidate must as a minimum have published four peer-reviewed articles in academic journals, at least one of them at level two (The Bibliometric Research Indicator (BFI)): https://ufm.dk/en/research-and-innovation/statistics-and-analyses/bibliometric-research-indicator; or a monograph as well as two articles, at least one of them at level two; or similar publications
- The candidate must document advanced teaching qualifications: have completed a Teaching and Learning in Higher Education program (or equivalent experience) and submit a teaching portfolio that documents varied pedagogical/didactic practice (both class instruction and individual or collective supervision) See also Educational Charter at http://www.humanities.ku.dk/about/vision_and_goals/educational_charter/ and http://uddannelseskvalitet.ku.dk/quality-assurance-of-study-programmes/university-guidelines/pedagogic-basis-and-guidelines/
- The candidate must submit a research plans which includes considerations about research dissemination and social impact.
- The candidate must submit a teaching plan including considerations concerning how the applicant intends to maintain and develop their pedagogical/didactic competencies.
- The candidate must demonstrate active participation in relevant international academic networks.
- The candidate must demonstrate good academic citizenship: interest in and commitment to the maintenance and enhancement of a collegiate community and an academic environment in which approaches to educational questions, the development of research and external contacts are based on solidarity.
All of the abovementioned criteria must be met. It is also an advantage if applicants have experience of obtaining external funding, alone or together with colleagues.
The criteria can be found here: https://humanities.ku.dk/about/vacancies/5668eng_Lektorkriterier_paa_HUM_KUendelig.pdf
The duties of the position are evenly distributed on tasks related to teaching and tasks related to research (including relevant administration and knowledge-sharing). Hence the assessment of applicants’ qualifications will assign equal weight to documented competences in the field of teaching, pedagogy and didactics as in the field of research, research collaboration and research organization. Applicants with documentation of excellent teaching skills including experience with development of teaching and with experiences and reflections on how most effectively to integrate research and teaching activities will be given priority.
For further details about the qualification requirements for associate professors, please refer to the job structure for Academic Staff at Universities 2019: https://www.retsinformation.dk/Forms/R0710.aspx?id=212083 (only in Danish)
The general expectation is that the appointed candidate will be able to teach in Danish and in English and within a reasonable period of time (max. 2 years), non-Danish-speaking appointees are expected to acquire proficiency in Danish sufficient to teach in Danish as well as interact with colleagues and students.
For further information about the position, please contact Head of Department, Jens-Erik Mai, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submit the application online in Adobe PDF or Word format.
Please note that each field in the application form must only contain a single file of max. 20Mb.
Please click on the “Apply now” icon at the bottom of the page.
The application must be written in English and must include the following:
- Application letter/cover letter
- Curriculum vitae (with the applicant’s email address, telephone number and list of referees (maximum five names))
- Documentation of qualifications (examination certificates/PhD diploma, etc.).
- Complete and numbered list of publications. The enclosed publications must be marked with *
- Research plan, including a short description of previous research and a plan for the coming years that includes an account of involvement in organising research, establishment of research seminars, symposia and congresses, etc.
- Teaching portfolio. Documentation of teaching qualifications and research dissemination (organisation of classes, materials, courses and other forms of teaching). For more information regarding the expected contents of the teaching portfolio, applicants are encouraged to read the University Guidelines for teaching portfolios when appointing academic staff at the University of Copenhagen: http://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/job-application-portfolio/
- Publications. Applicants may choose a maximum of five publications for assessment, of which at least two must have been published within the five years immediately preceding the deadline for applications. At least two of these publications must have been published in internationally recognized, peer-reviewed journals or in comparable high-ranking series published with internationally recognized publishing houses. Publication dates must be clearly marked on the publication list. The publications selected must be uploaded as attachments and listed from 1 to 5.
Should any material submitted consist of work with named co-authors, or work that is otherwise the result of collective academic endeavours, the extent of the applicant’s contribution to the work must be clearly stipulated. The Faculty may ask for a signed statement from the co-authors stipulating the extent and nature of each individual’s contribution.
Only material in English, Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish will be assessed.
After the application deadline, on the advice of the Appointment Committee, the Head of Department selects applicants for assessment. All applicants are then immediately notified whether their application has been accepted for assessment. The Head of Department subsequently appoints an expert assessment committee tasked with carrying out an assessment of the selected applicants for the specific post. Selected applicants are notified of the composition of the committee. Applicants are ultimately offered the opportunity of commenting on the part of the assessment relating to themselves before the appointment is finalized.
Applicants will be continuously informed about the progress of the procedure by e-mail.
Further information about the application procedure is available from HR officer Corinn Sandhoff Pedersen, e-mail: email@example.com. Please refer to ID number 151468
Salary and conditions of employment
Terms of appointment and salary will be in accordance with an agreement between the Ministry of Finance and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC). The salary range starts at DKK 39.810 per month + a 17,1 % contribution to the pension scheme. It is possible to negotiate salary supplements on an annual basis.
The Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC) have further agreed on a protocol that makes it possible for international researchers employed by the University to achieve a pension exemption, whereby the pension contribution will be paid out as salary. For more information about the different pension schemes, please see https://ism.ku.dk/salary-tax-pension/pension/
A special tax scheme is offered to researchers recruited abroad https://ism.ku.dk/salary-tax-pension/tax/
The UCPH wishes to encourage everyone interested in this post to apply, regardless of personal background.
The closing date for applications is Monday April 20, 2020 at 23:59 CET.
Applications or supplementary material received thereafter will not be considered.
Københavns Universitet giver sine knap 10.000 medarbejdere muligheder for at udnytte deres talent fuldt ud i et ambitiøst, uformelt miljø. Vi sikrer traditionsrige og moderne rammer om uddannelser og fri forskning på højt internationalt niveau. Vi søger svar og løsninger på fælles problemer og gør ny viden tilgængelig og nyttig for andre.