211-0056/20-2N Tenure-track assistant professor of Higher Education Research
Tenure-track assistant professor of Higher Education Research
Department of Science Education
Faculty of Science
University of Copenhagen
The Department of Science Education, Section for Science and Mathematics Education Research and Teaching (SMART), seeks an excellent scholar for a tenure-track position as assistant professor in higher education research. The position involves research as well as development within higher-education teaching and learning with a particular emphasis on science education. The position will also include involvement in research and development across the faculties of University of Copenhagen and in relation to strategic initiatives across the university. The position is open from 1 January 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter.
We seek a candidate with a research record within higher education teaching and learning. This can include research in research-integrating or research-based teaching, university students’ background and experiences in science, the role of the cultural and institutional setting, disciplinary and interdisciplinary teaching and learning in higher education, university teacher competences, and curriculum development. Candidates with other research specialisms in teaching and learning in higher education will also be considered. The candidate should have documented experience with pedagogical development in higher education settings. Experience with activities aimed at the pedagogical development of university teachers will be considered an advantage, but is not a requirement. Applicants should document ability to collaborate with a broad range of disciplines, study programmes and disciplines on planning, implementing, and evaluating developmental and/or research projects concerning teaching and education at these departments. Experience with development work across different faculties will be considered an advantage, but is not a requirement.
The tenure-track assistant professor’s duties will primarily include research, including obligations with regard to publication, and research-based teaching with associated examination obligations. The candidate is expected to actively take part in running and developing the university’s educational programme for teachers, including teaching at courses and workshops offered by the department, and to become involved in the research and development activities within university pedagogy in collaboration with the department’s research group on university teaching. The tenure track assistant professor must have an academic standing showing internationally competitive research, and/or have internationally recognized high potential to make a future impact.
The Department of Science Education is an interdisciplinary department and the successful applicant is expected to engage in interdisciplinary activities in relation teaching and development work. It is a hallmark of our research to unite strong fundamental and applied research with high impact in society, including themes that are of particular interest to the University of Copenhagen in general as well as to the Faculty of Science in particular. It is not a requirement to be able to teach in Danish. UCPH has an International Staff Mobility office that assists international scholars with their relocation to Copenhagen; see https://ism.ku.dk/. Information on life in Denmark is available on the official website https://lifeindenmark.borger.dk/. Similarly, information on life in Copenhagen can be found here: https://international.kk.dk/artikel/everyday-life-copenhagen.
Assessment of applicants will primarily consider their level of documented, internationally competitive research and their experience with higher-education development activities. The ability to attract external funding will be considered together with outreach qualifications. Teaching qualifications are not mandatory, but documented teaching qualifications and teaching experience will be considered.
Further information about the Department can be found at https://www.ind.ku.dk/english/. Inquiries about the position and the department can be made to Head of Section Henriette Tolstrup Holmegaard, email@example.com (+45 3532 0386) or Department Chair Hanne Andersen, firstname.lastname@example.org (+45 3533 4196).
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Terms of employment
The position is covered by the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff.
Terms of appointment and payment accord to the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations on Academics in the State.
The starting salary is currently up to DKK 437.843 including annual supplement (+ pension up to DKK 74.871).
Negotiation for salary supplement is possible.
The tenure-track programme
An assigned mentor will provide the tenure-track assistant professors with guidance related to career development, other academic topics and administrative procedures.
Performance of the tenure-track assistant professor will be followed via internal yearly evaluations and a mid-term and final international evaluation by an assessment committee. If the ‘final appraisal’ is positive you will be promoted as associate professor. Performance and progression towards the criteria below will be evaluated with due consideration of differences between research fields.
Criteria for promotion
After a 6-year tenure-track period tenure-track assistant professors are expected to meet the following criteria:
- A strong publication track record within the specific field of research, including a significant number of corresponding authorships and at least some publications in high-ranked journals based on work carried out during the tenure-track period
- Strong external network of collaboration, including joint publications
- A significant track record of successful external research funding
- Establishment of a strong and internationally competitive research group demonstrating clear independence of former supervisors/mentors, or/and major contributions to the development of an existing research group demonstrating an ability to collaborate within the research group
- Completed a university teacher training programme (http://www.ind.ku.dk/english/course_overview/up/) or equivalent and established a high quality teaching portfolio
- Successful supervision/co-supervision of MSc and PhD students
The application including all attachments must be in English and submitted electronically by clicking APPLY NOW below.
- Curriculum vitae including:
- Please describe and document international network and relations
- Please describe and document internationally based activities
- Positions held at universities/research institutions
- Outreach activities, i.e. popular lectures or other activities in the media (where available)
- Grants held, personal or in part. Career development grants (where available).
- Diplomas (Master and PhD degree or equivalent)
- Research plan - description of current and future research plans. The plan should include reflections on how the planned research relates research activities at the Department of Science Education (https://www.ind.ku.dk/english/research/) and to the current strategy of University of Copenhagen (https://about.ku.dk/strategy2023/)
- Description and documentation of previous activities related to development of higher-education teaching and learning and/or academic development (where available)
- If available, description and documentation of teaching and supervision experience and qualifications- please describe and document:
- Experience with supervision of BSc and MSc students
- Teaching experience
- Formal pedagogical training
- Complete publication list
- Separate reprints of up to 5 particularly relevant papers
The deadline for applications is 25 June 2020, 23:59 GMT +2.
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Interview Committee.
You can read about the recruitment process at http://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/.
Interviews/trial lectures will be held on 13 November 2020
Please refer to the following no. in future communication in this case: 211-0056/20-2N
Københavns Universitet giver sine knap 10.000 medarbejdere muligheder for at udnytte deres talent fuldt ud i et ambitiøst, uformelt miljø. Vi sikrer traditionsrige og moderne rammer om uddannelser og fri forskning på højt internationalt niveau. Vi søger svar og løsninger på fælles problemer og gør ny viden tilgængelig og nyttig for andre.